A first dentist appointment, whether for you or your child, can be pretty unsettling. But if you are ready to take that step, we want to share some information to help ease your worries.
Here’s a quick guide to a few things you can expect when you visit us at the office of Kenneth R. Russell DDS.
- File Your New Patient Paperwork. One of the first things we’ll need is your name, contact details, insurance information (if applicable), and any other information we need to create your patient file and keep track of details from each of your visits to our office. This is important because it will help us log a comprehensive dental history we can reference in the future.
- Review Your Dental History. Next, we’ll discuss your prior dental history with you. Since it’s your first dentist appointment, we’ll ask about any concerns or dental issues you might have and take dental x-rays for further review. Dental x-rays use a minimal amount of radiation compared to traditional x-rays, so they are safe for you and your child.
- A Comprehensive Dental Checkup. After the review, we’ll use your dental history, x-rays, and visual inspections to assess any dental problems you might have. These may include cavities, discoloration, and tooth sensitivity. We may also perform an oral cancer screening, which should be done at least once a year.
- Cleaning and Treatment. Based on the checkup, the dentist attending to you will discuss suitable treatment options for you. These may include teeth cleaning, plaque scraping, and any other appropriate action to restore your dental health.
- Scheduling Your Next Visit. The entire process should take about one hour and 45 minutes, after which the dentist will advise you to schedule regular follow-up appointments to keep your dental health in excellent condition. They’ll also guide you on best practices to maintain your dental health, such as brushing and flossing regularly.
As you leave, please confirm your next dentist appointment with our administrative team. We offer early morning and Saturday dental checkups in addition to appointments during regular business hours.